- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 scant tsp Baking Powder about ⅔ teaspoon, I use 2 tsp for a triple recipe
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil olive or vegetable
- 1/3 cup Ice Water
- 1-3 tbsp Vegetable Oil for frying
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the oil and ice water, and mix to make a soft, cohesive dough. (Add garlic or herbs to the dough if desired.) The dough should be moist but not sticky. Add water or flour by the teaspoonful if needed. Cover with plastic wrap, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until the oil starts to shimmer in the pan.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Each piece should be about the size of a large egg. Dredge each piece in flour, and roll or hand-flatten to a rough circle or oval, about 1/4″ thick.
- Fry a flatbread in the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and fry on the second side for another 2 minutes. Transfer from the pan to a cooling rack, then to a tea-towel-lined basket for serving. Add more oil as needed for frying successive breads.