Seven Spice Chickpea Stew
For the spice blend:
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
For the stew:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (1 – 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp minced garlic 2 cloves
- Spice blend see above
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cans cooked chickpeas aka garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 can coconut milk about 1 1/2 cups
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsps chopped parsley or cilantro or a combination (I like to use a “lightly dried” version available in a cup in the produce section near the fresh herbs)
- In a deep cast iron skillet or a small stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once it’s shimmering, add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent (5-10 minutes). Lower the heat if necessary to keep them from browning.
- Add the spice blend. Stir and cook for about a minute. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and coconut milk, and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the balsamic vinegar and then salt and pepper to taste. Top with parsley and/or cilantro and serve hot over rice, noodles, or polenta.