Our Lady’s Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour spoon & level
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium-high. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and gently mix with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not overmix. A few lumps are okay.
- Spray the heated waffle iron with nonstick spray. Scoop enough batter to lightly cover the surface of the iron. Note that the batter will expand quite a bit while cooking. Close the iron and cook until the waffle has a golden, crispy exterior, about five minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with butter, syrup, whipped cream, berries, etc. Fresh waffles are best served immediately. To serve a group, heat the oven to 200°F and place the waffles in a single layer, uncovered, directly on the racks. This will keep them warm without getting soggy.