Hot Mulled Cider
Another option for a warm spiced beverage on a cool day is mulled cider. Putting it together at home is simple and tastes so much better than pre-made! One spice bag will flavor up to 8 quarts of mulled cider in one batch. Just keep the ratio of one part orange to three parts apple juice.
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried orange peel
- 2 teaspoons chopped cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice in the refrigerated juice section
- 3 cups unfiltered apple juice in the juice aisle, also called cider
- ½ Tablespoon brown sugar or other sweetener
- A splash of bourbon brandy, or rum (optional)
- garnishes: orange slices dried or fresh, whole cinnamon sticks, star anise
Place the chopped spices in cheesecloth and tie with cooking twine, or use a reusable or disposable teabag. Add juices and brown sugar to a large saucepan. Stir briefly to combine. Add the spice bag. Cover and heat to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
Remove the spice bag. Add alcohol if desired. Place a cinnamon stick and orange slice in each mug. Pour the mulled cider over them, and serve.