Hot Mulled Wine – Bisschopswijn
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried orange peel
- 2 teaspoons chopped cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 750 ml bottle of dry red wine (like Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, or Pinot Noir)
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup liqueur I like Patxaran, brandy would be more traditional
- garnishes: orange slices dried or fresh, whole cinnamon sticks, star anise
- Place the chopped spices in cheesecloth and tie with cooking twine, or use a reusable or disposable teabag. Add wine, 2 tablespoons of sweetener, and liqueur to a large saucepan. Stir briefly to combine. Add the spice bag.
- Cook the mulled wine on medium-high heat until it just barely reaches a simmer. (Avoid letting it boil—you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Remove the spice bag. Taste and stir in extra sweetener if needed. Place a cinnamon stick and orange slice in each mug. Pour the mulled wine over them, and serve.